QuickBooks users often report errors like “QuickBooks error 6189 or 816”. This error occurs when QuickBooks attempts to access your company file. The error code 6189 refers to the QuickBooks company file.
QuickBooks is the most widely used accounting software. It has many powerful features and has made it possible for business owners to run their businesses smoothly by using the application. It is easy to use and provides a self-explanatory dashboard.
What does QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816- Company File Problem mean?
QuickBooks Error 6189 or 816 indicates that an error occurred when you tried to open the company file from a Windows computer. The QuickBooks Error Codes 6189 and 816 are also known as runtime errors. This error code is usually encountered when the company file opens or runs. This error code can cause your computer screen to display the following error message:
QuickBooks error code 6189 or -816 occurs when you try to access your company file. This is due to multi-user network issues.
The causes of QuickBooks Errors 6189 or 816 are:
- If there is a difference between.tlg or.qbw files.
- If the.qbw is being updated on another machine without the.tlg.
- This is due to an update failure.
- In Single User Mode, another user can access company files.
- Data corruption in QuickBooks data file
- The company files should not be downloaded if they are harmful.
- Incomplete/Improper installation process.
- Infection with viruses or malware in your Windows system files
How to fix QuickBooks errors 6189 and 816?
There are many reasons that QuickBooks Error 6189 or 816 may occur. You will need multiple solutions. If one solution fails, the other one will definitely work. The QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool will solve your problem. Follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Reboot your System & server
- Firstly, company files are easily accessible on Reboot Desktop.
- Secondly, if you have saved your company data on a server, you will need to restart it.
- Thirdly, if the error persists, follow the next solution that is provided.
2. Installation QBMS (QuickBooks Data Manager on Server).
- Firstly, install QuickBooks Database Manager (QBM), or QuickBooks Database Manager, on the server that hosts your company files.
- Next, you do not need an additional license to install the Database Manager.
- Then, if the QuickBooks user is not visible, the Database Manager must be installed
- Also, after the installation is complete.
- Rebooting the server will sort it out.
3. Data File location is Network Drive
- It is important to verify that your company file has not been saved to a NAS drive nor to another drive that could be deleted.
- These devices don’t allow the running of QuickBooks Database Manager.
- Sometimes it ends in data corruption.
4. Use the Data File Share Service
- This is a good option if your organizational file does not use any file sharing or online synchronization services like SugarSync, Box.net, or Dropbox.
- Online auto-backup utilities for your QuickBooks program could be the problem.
- Eventually, This error could occur when you try to open an organizational file.
- These problems are avoided by moving all organizational files from Dropbox to your C: drive.
5. Install encryption software on your system.
- Intuit and QuickBooks Encrypting your company file do not mean that you should encrypt it.
- Software disabilities can be reported to your encryption software vendor.
It is important to identify the root cause of QuickBooks Error 6189 or 816. There are numerous potential explanations for this issue. Consequently, professional advice is required.