Microsoft has introduced two types of MS Outlook platforms. One is for Mac, and the other is for Windows. MS Outlook works in a Windows environment to support PST and OST file formats, whereas MS Outlook for Mac supports OLM.
At present, there are ten times more users of MS Outlook for Windows than MS Outlook for Mac. Microsoft has launched the application for Mac users recently. The latest MS Outlook 2019 is available for Mac and Windows users with equal advanced features. In this article, we learn some reasons for conversion from OLM to PST and why convert databases.
OLM file vs. PST file
MS Outlook for Windows stores data in two file formats- PST and OST. When users configure MS Outlook with POP3 accounts, data is store in PST file format. OST is the file format that works with an Exchange account. Outlook for Mac stores data in OLM file format. These file formats have the capacity to hold emails, contacts, notes, messages, events, tasks, notes, and more.
Unfortunately, the OLM file format is not supported by MS Outlook for Windows. Conversion of OLM files to PST is the only solution to get the best results. se
Reasons for Selecting MS Outlook for Windows over MS Outlook for Mac
Here is the comparison of MS Outlook for Mac 2016 and MS Outlook for Windows 2016 to know why users like the move from OLM to PST.
Users: When we compare the usage of Windows and Mac, Windows has nearly 400 million active users worldwide, whereas Mac has around 100 million users. Therefore the demand for MS Outlook for Windows is higher in the world. Microsoft has introduced the app, especially for Windows users. Several updated versions of MS Outlook are now available for Windows users.
Mail: While comparing MS Outlook 2016 for these platforms, we have observe that some features are not available in MS Outlook for Mac.
- It doesn’t have a table creation feature.
- There is no option of recalling a message.
- In the cloud, users cannot get a preview of attachments.
- It doesn’t support HTML/TXT.
- The customization feature for the folder is missing.
- It has no option of sending messages.
- Missing folder retention policy and has no additional posts.
- Filtration is not advanced enough.
Calendar: Some calendar features are lacking in MS Outlook for Mac.
- There is no facility to share calendar databases with external users.
- It doesn’t support SharePoint calendars and lists
Contacts: Some features in the Calendar for MS Outlook are missing.
- It doesn’t support the Exchange server distribution list.
- Contact databases cannot ingrate with Exchange.
Tasks: Some features in the Task are missing.
- Users cannot assign tasks to others and create to-do items.
Protocols: Some features for Protocols are not available.
- The app doesn’t support SMTP and EAS protocols.
Some other Missing Features of MS Outlook for Mac
- Users can synchronize app folders to Gmail because there is no automatic synchronization for folders.
- Users cannot access Office 365 groups.
- The send/receive feature is not so advance.
- Bandwidth cannot be optimized.
Reasons for OLM to PST conversion
As you can see above comparison, you may have got an idea why users like to select PST over OLM. MS Outlook for Windows gives users the best output because of advance features. The active community of MS Outlook for Windows troubleshoots users’ queries.
Professional users have encountered the problem of working on these two different platforms. Data sharing is one of the biggest problems.
OLM to PST conversion Manual Tips
Under this solution, we take the help of an IMAP account. It plays an intermediate for swift data transfer. The first approach is to integrate the account with MS Outlook for Mac and then transfer data to the account. Integrate the IMAP account with MS Outlook for Windows to export the retrieved data to it. It has four primary steps to follow-
1. Create an IMAP account
- Open your web server mail and go to the Settings
- Hit the Forwarding and POP/IMAPbutton
- Enable IMAP and Save the required changes.
2. Configuration of the IMAP account with MS Outlook for Mac
- Access Outlook for Mac, and go to the Tool menu and choose Accounts from here
- Next, select the Email option and provide the IMAP credentials
- Enter IMAP server and select SSL connection and SMTP server and 465 as a port number, and press the Add Account.
3. Transfer Databases to the IMAP account
- Access your Outlook for Mac account and choose the items you want to transfer
- Select the folder, and right-click on it, then Move> Copy to Folder.
- Locate the IMAP folder name and select Copy.
- Now, update the IMAP folder with Send/Receive button
- Next, it transfers OLM to the IMAP account.
Configure the same IMAP account to MS Outlook for Windows.
- First, go to Control Panel and choose Mail from multiple options, then Email Accounts, and last the New tab
- Choose manually configure server settings and press Next.
- Select IMAP/POP settings and press next.
- Provide the IMAP credentials and the incoming and outing server data. Press More Settingsright after it.
- Hit the Advancedbutton, type the 993 port number, and choose SSL
- Provide 465 as the port number in the SMTP server and choose SSL connection, press the OK button
- Now, hit the Next button and wait for a few minutes, press the Finish tab.
Automated Conversion of OLM to PST
How do you observe the above solutions? Do you find them user-friendly? We will not suggest the manual method to new users. For them, the best solution is third-party applications like GainTools OLM to PST Converter.
It is a straightforward app for exporting data in bulk. The tool exports data with high accuracy.