Gua Bao is one of our favorites to prepare at home because it brings the taste of street food to your table. With our easy Gua Bao Recipe, you would like to prepare it everyday. Where, Gua Bao Recipe may seem a little time consuming, the end result makes every second spent preparing it worthwhile. Moreover, we absolutely like spending time in the kitchen as much as we can, for as long as we can.
Also, if you follow our instructions step by step, then it will save you time and taste heavenly. In this recipe, we will share our secret ingredient with you, i.e. Dingolay Gourmet Hot Sauce. Dingolay Hot sauce makes the process way too easy and adds exquisite tastes to Gua Bao that makes it much more relishing.
How to Prepare Gua Bao at Home?
Since Gua Bao is prepared with pork, it takes time to get ready. So, the first step should be to start preparing the pork soup. Although the recipe is time taking, follow our simple instructions, and it will be way too easy than you have imagined. Following are the ingredients that you need to make Gua Bao at home.
Ingredients for Gua Bao
For the filling of Gua Bao
- 450 grams of Pork Belly
- 1 tablespoon of Peanut Oil
- 4 crushed or chopped Garlic Cloves
- 2 Green Onions
- 3 thinly cut slices of Ginger
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 6 Dried Chili Peppers
- 3 tablespoons of Shaoxing Wine
- 2 tablespoons of Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Brown Sugar
- Half teaspoon of White Pepper Powder
- 3 cups of Water
For Gua Bao Bun:
- 2 cups of All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon of Instant Yeast
- 2 teaspoons of Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
- Half teaspoon of Salt
- 3/4th cup of Full-fat Milk
Instructions for Preparing Gua Bao
- In a large cooking pot, add peanut oil and fry the chunks of pork belly to golden brown from all sides. As the chunks are done, dish them out on a plate.
- In the same cooking pot, add star anise, cinnamon stick, and dried Chinese chili peppers and sauté them. As they are sauteing, add Shaoxing Wine, 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce, if these sauces are not available, simply go with soy sauce. This sauce combine well over medium high heat, then add the fried pork chunks and stir fry it again.
- As the chunks appear to be soaking up the sauce, add 3 cups of water to it, and add white pepper powder, and brown sugar. Stir them. Then cover the pot with a lid and let it cook for an hour and a half, over medium low heat.
- Let the pork pieces cook in this sauce. Meanwhile, start preparing bao buns. This may take time, but the soft and bouncy bao buns makes you forget the effort you had to put in them.
- Start with adding all purpose flour to a deep bowl, then add instant yeast, sugar, baking powder, and salt to it and mix well. Lastly, add milk to it and knead it into a dough.
- As a firm dough has been formed. Cover it in a cling film and allow it to rise or sit for 10 minutes.
- Knead it again for 1 minutes, after the said time. As the dough has softened a lot, place it in a crystal bowl, cover it with a cloth and let it sit for an hour.
- After an hour, knead the dough again. Now roll the dough and start making small jaw shaped buns. Place these shaped buns onto butter paper glazed with olive oil.
- In a steamer, place the sieve and when it reaches the required temperature, start placing the buns in it along with butter paper, so it may not stick to the sieve. Do not place more than 4 at a time, so when they rise, they do not stick with each other.
- By the time these buns are done, we are sure pork sauce will be done as well. Make sure you have kept a check on them as well and did not abandon them completely.
- Now uncover the pork sauce, and stir it again.
Assemble all the ingredients
It is now time to assemble all the ingredients. Take the bao buns and cut them in the middle. Firstly, glaze the insides of the buns with the sauce, then add pork strips and garnish with finely sliced parsley or even sesame seeds to make them look relishing.
Serve hot with Dingolay Hot Sauce and get ready for a special treat.
Gua is one of the most loved street food dishes, and people love making them at home. Try our easiest Gua Bao recipe at home and we are sure you are going to love it if you pair it up with Dingolay Gourmet Hot Sauce.
In order to save time, you can also prepare it in Dingolay gourmet Hot Sauces, to save time as well as make it taste heavenly.