Who is this credit card best for?
- Search diligently for the best products and delicacies in a good offer. See more cards.
- Offer finder.
- You prioritize sticking to your budget while buying what you want and need. See more cards.
- Savvy Saver.
The Citi Double Cash Card is ideal for consumers who want flat-rate cashback without worrying about bonus categories or earnings limits. Since you earn when you make a purchase and again when you pay your bill, consumers who pay their balance in full each month will get the most benefit.
- Highest rewards rate among cards in its class
- No annual fee
- Long Introductory Balance Transfer Agreement
- You won’t earn half of your rewards until you pay for your purchase
- Some additional benefits
- Highest reward rate among cards in its class
- : Other cashback cards earn up to 5% back, but only on certain types of purchases. Flat-rate rewards mean you don’t have to think about reward levels. And while other cash-back credit cards offer a flat rewards rate, most are capped at 1.5%. This is one of the few widely available credit cards that earn this much.
- No Annual Fee: You may be able to earn more rewards with other types of credit cards, but they usually charge an annual fee.
- Long introductory balance transfer agreement: If you transfer balances from other cards to the Citi Double Cash Card, you’ll pay no interest for 18 months on that balance, as long as you make the transfer within four months of opening the account. A 3% balance transfer fee applies (minimum $5), but the interest savings could be worth it.
- You won’t earn half of your rewards until you pay for your purchase: While getting 2% back on all your purchases seems ideal, don’t forget that you only earn the second 1% when you pay off what you owe. On the other hand, you shouldn’t worry about getting cashback if you plan to carry a balance and make the minimum payment, as your interest costs will quickly outweigh any rewards you earn.
- Some extra perks: The Citi Double Cash Card offers fewer perks for cardholders than many cash-back credit cards. There are no travel insurance benefits, for example, and you don’t get extended warranties, guaranteed returns or purchase protection benefits like other cards offer.
Earn points and rewards
The Citi Double Cash Card allows you to earn 2% cashback for every dollar you spend, though Rewards are offered at two tiers: 1% when you make a purchase and another 1% when you make monthly payments There are no No caps or limits on how much you can earn.
However, please note that your rewards will expire if you do not make any purchases or payments to your account for 12 months. Also, you won’t get cash back benefits if you miss a payment or don’t pay the minimum amount, and you won’t get any more cash back rewards until your account is up to date.
This card may have the best flat rate for cash back rewards, but many of its competitors offer a sign-up bonus. In the long run, Citi Double Cash will give you a better return, but if you’re looking for a lot of rewards up front, consider a card that offers a sign-up bonus.
Redemption of rewards
You have a few options when it comes to redeeming the cash back you earn with this card. You can:
- Order a check by mail in increments of $25 or more
- Request a statement credit on your account in increments of $25 or more
- Redeem for a credit to a Citi checking or savings account, though you must have paid your Citi credit card bill with the account twice or more
You can also transfer your cash to a Citi ThankYou rewards account. There they will be converted into ThankYou points that you can redeem for gift cards, merchandise or use as part of Citi’s “Shop with Points” program to cover purchases made at popular retailers. You can transfer cash in amounts as small as $1 (for 100 ThankYou points).
Redeeming your cash back as a statement credit reduces the amount of cash back you can earn. That’s because taking a statement credit reduces the amount you owe, and the second 1% of your cash back occurs when you pay your bill.
How to get the most out of this card
Using the Citi Double Cash Card for all your regular purchases is the best way to maximize the rewards you earn. However, you must pay your balance in full each month. Doing so will ensure you earn the second “half” of your rewards quickly, but it will also help you avoid interest on your purchases.
Be sure to use your card regularly so your rewards don’t expire. You may also want to redeem rewards in $25 increments frequently so you don’t risk your cash back if you stop using the card later.
If you convert your cash back into ThankYou points, your redemption values will vary, depending on what you redeem them for. However, based on The Balance’s analysis of the value of ThankYou points, you’ll get the best return if you transfer them to JetBlue’s TrueBlue frequent flyer program.
Citi Double Cash Card Other Features
Like many rewards credit cards, Citi Double Cash offers a concierge service to help plan meals and travel, but Citi Entertainment also gives you access to events around the world with presale tickets.
Citi promises that you can “talk to a real person” every time you call its customer service line, which is open 24 hours a day. According to Citi, you can bypass its automated notices right away by saying “representative” when you call.
Citi only scored 799 out of 1,000 points in the 2019 JDPower Credit Card Satisfaction Study, below the industry average of 806 points. It came in at number 6 on a list of the top 11 credit card companies.
But Citi has its own mobile app that can make it easy to monitor your purchases and payments, and this card also gives you access to a free FICO Credit Score service on your monthly credit card bill. Many but not all major credit cards offer this.
The Citi Double Cash Card has a number of security features that stand out:
- If your identity has been compromised, Citi specialists will guide you through the process of filing police reports and other government forms, and monitoring your credit report, even if the fraud occurred on another company’s product.
- Citi’s Lost Wallet Service helps you get a replacement credit card within 24 hours if it’s lost or stolen.
- Citi Quick Lock lets you lock your account against new purchases or cash advances without stopping auto pay bills or any payments you’ve made
- Citi will give you a virtual account number that you can use to shop online without revealing your Citi credit card number.
Citi Double Cash Card Fees
The card has fees comparable to its competition, but international travelers may want to factor in the foreign transaction fee: 3% of the US dollar amount for each purchase. So for a $100 foreign purchase, you’ll pay an extra $3 when you use this card. On the other hand, Citi does not charge a fee the first time you make a late payment. (After that, a late payment could cost you up to $40.) Many competing cards do not waive the first late fee.